How to get more online reviews for your IT business
We have a great tip for MSP companies that want to attract new business online but struggle with limited marketing resources. The easiest way to improve your visibility online and get more leads is to get online reviews from your happy customers! Fortunately, one doesn’t need to be a marketing pro to do this.
How online reviews can help an MSP’s marketing
An online review is essentially a testimonial, only it gets more trust online since it’s posted on independent web resources by real people. In one of our previous posts, we mentioned online reviews as one of the tips to improve your SEO, but that’s not the only way they can help you grow your business.
Online reviews can help:
- Increase your company’s online visibility to the local audience
- Improve your company’s reputation
- Drive “word-of-mouth” marketing
- Increase the number of inbound call requests
- And yes, improve your SEO
As you can see here, three out five improvements have nothing to do with online traffic. It means that it’s not always easy to measure their performance, unless every single person who picks up the phone will automatically ask, “Where did learn about our company?” Nevertheless, online reviews are incredibly effective when they are authentic and responded to by the company. 97% of B2B customers find online reviews more credible than other types of content, including news articles.
What are the right platforms for MSP online reviews?
The three most popular platforms to get reviews for your services are Google, Yelp, and YP. Depending on your preferences and local trends, you can also look at Yahoo, Facebook, and NextDoor. Here are some best practices to make review platforms work to your advantage:
- It’s better to have accounts on more than one platform. You never know where people are looking for recommendations.
- Whatever platform(s) you use, make sure that your company profile is complete and contains current information, including your website, physical address, phone number, and operating hours.
- Check your accounts frequently or assign people to manage each of the accounts and report monthly. Make sure that these people have an understanding of what they need to do when they see that a new review (good or bad) has been posted.
How can an MSP get actual reviews?
There is only one guaranteed way to get any reviews from your customers—you must ask them! B2B customers are usually busy and aren’t thinking about promoting their service partners unless they are asked to do so. It is especially true if the customer is happy—we take things for granted when everything is going well.
Here are some best practices for asking your customers to write an online review:
- Don’t ask the customer to leave reviews on more than one platform at a time. Start with one, then over time you can ask for another one, and so on. It’s a good excuse to touch base with a good customer, and it’s a good barometer of your relationship.
- When a customer agrees to write a review, send them a link to the right page immediately. Don’t make them do additional work by searching your company’s page on one platform or another.
- ALWAYS thank your customer for a review in a personal note, and also leave a comment to their actual review. You’ll make your customer feel valued, and it will demonstrate a great level of responsiveness to the review readers.
- Don’t ignore negative or so-so reviews. Show your customers that their opinion matters and their response will be used for improvement. This is also a powerful message to the review viewers. B2B buyers like to see a mix of positive and negative reviews to get a deeper insight to a product/service, and answered negative reviews help build credibility.
As you can see, online reviews are a simple, free, and an incredibly effective type of marketing for Managed IT Services. Follow these recommendations to get your company reputation ramped-up and generating more business.